The Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) is an independent agency under the supervisory oversight of the Nigerian Ministry of Finance, responsible for the collection of customs revenue and anti-smuggling efforts.
Import prohibited goods are goods that are banned from importation into the country by the federal government of Nigeria. The prohibition could be for a number of reasons, ranging from security to local industry protection.
In addition to outright prohibition, the government could also decide to restrict the importation of certain goods into the country. These are known as Restricted Imports.
In this article, we have detailed the list of import prohibited and restricted goods in Nigeria
IMPORT PROHIBITION LIST
- Live or dead birds including frozen poultry.
- Pork, beef, birds eggs, excluding hatching eggs
- Refined vegetable oils and fats (includes mayonnaise). Crude vegetable oil is NOT banned from importation.
- Cane or beet sugar and chemically pure sucrose, in solid form in retail packs.
- Cocoa butter, powder and cakes.
- Fruit Juice in retail packs.
- Water, including mineral waters and Aerated water containing added sugar or sweetening matter or flavoured, ice snow, other non-alcoholic beverages, and beer and stout (bottled, canned or otherwise packed, but excluding energy or health drinks (liquid dietary supplements).
- Bagged cement.
- Drugs and Medication as listed below:
- Paracetamol tablets and syrups;
- perfumed spirits
- Cotrimoxazole tablets and syrups;
- Metronidazole tablets and syrups;
- Chloroquine tablets and syrups;
- Haematinic formulations; ferrous sulphate and ferrous gluconate tablets;
- Folic acid tablets, vitamin B complex Tablets (except modified released formulations);.
- Multivitamin tablets, capsules, and syrups (except special formulations);
- Aspirin tablets (except modified released formulation and soluble aspirin);
- Magnesium trisilicate tablets and suspensions.
- Piperazine tablets and syrups;
- Levamisole tablets and syrups;
- Clotrimazole cream;
- Ointments – penicillin/gentamycin;
- Pyrantel pamoate tablets and syrups; and
- Intravenous fluids (dextrose, normal saline, etc.).
- Waste Pharmaceuticals.
- Soaps and Detergents in retail packs only.
- Mosquito Repellant Coils.
- Mineral or Chemical Fertilizers containing two or three of the fertilizing elements (Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium )
- Telephone Re-charge cards and vouchers.
- Carpets and other textile floor coverings.
- All types of Foot Wears, Bags and Suitcases but excluding Safety Shoes used in oil industries, sports shoes, canvass shoes all Completely Knocked Down (CKD) blanks and parts.
- Hollow Glass Bottles of a capacity exceeding 150mls (0.15 liters) of all kinds used for packaging of beverages by breweries and other beverage and drink companies.
- Used compressors and used fridges/freezers.
- Used Motor Vehicles above fifteen (15) years from the year of manufacture.
- Ball Point Pens and parts including refills (excluding tip).
- Tomato Paste or Concentrated items put up for retail sale.