Multinational Companies In Nigeria
A multinational corporation (MNC) has facilities and other assets in at least one country other than its home country. Such companies have offices and/or factories in different countries and usually have a centralized head office where they coordinate global management. An MNC operates under different cultures, regulations and expectations. Thus, it becomes preferable to hire people, i.e. to get into relationships with those who can help them to cope with the varied external environments.
Examples of Multinational Companies include:
- Unilever (Manufacturers of household chemicals and food products). They are able to cover most countries because of available and dedicated staff which constantly monitors the market for finding ways on how to improve or establish new ways of production.
- Nestle (baby food, culinary products, coffee, chocolate and many other products)
- Guinness (beer)
- Chevron (oil and gas)
- Shell (oil transport)
- Procter & Gamble Co. (P&G)
- British Airways
- Mobil (Engine oil and other Mobil)
- British American Tobacco
Working in a Multinational corporation requires skills and competencies.
HOW TO WORK FOR TOP FOREIGN COMPANIES EVEN IF YOU RESIDE IN NIGERIA
- Prepare yourself thoroughly: Do a lot of homework and legwork
- Always do your research about the company.
- Shape your resume or CV to fit the job role and the brand positioning of the Multinational you are applying to.
- Keep your industry in mind.
- Begin your online search: Landing a job in foreign countries may be difficult, but searching for openings online certainly isn’t. A huge number of websites are dedicated to helping people find vacancies; LinkedIn is a good place to start.
- Work with an agent: Seeking assistance from a professional recruiter can be massively helpful in your search.
- Spend time networking: In-person networking is always the best. Reaching out to peers in your industry through sites such as LinkedIn can help you get advice, leads on openings, and a leg up as you pursue your job search.
- Get prepared for your interview: There are some key cultural norms you should adhere to when meeting with your potential employer. Beyond normal interview necessities, like being on time and doing your homework.
Multinational companies offer diverse workplaces that create the conditions for innovation and creativity. But they also do more than that. They provide employees with international work experience, opportunities, and networks that can take their career to the next level.